Young people all develop at different rates, and the word ‘talent’ implies that you’ve either got it or you haven’t, which is not the case in swimming. Swimmers have a variety of careers and very few athletes have the perfect recipe from the start of the journey as they travel through various coaches, often clubs, move through the school system and develop socially, from children through to adults.
Working in partnership with counties and the England Talent Team, we have a variety of programmes in place which cater for a range of ages to ensure a large cross section of our sport has access to appropriate development opportunities. The majority of our development events are aimed at providing development opportunities for club coaches, With the resources from each event given to coaches to take back to their clubs, this subsequently allows all clubs to have access to the information and club staff can share this with appropriately aged swimmers within their programmes.
2018-2019 Season development programmes:
- County development programme (led by each individual county) targeting 11 year olds
- Regional development programme (led by the region) targeting 12 year olds
- National phase one programme (led by Swim England) targeting 13/14 year olds
- National phase two programme (led by Swim England) targeting 15/16 year olds
- National phase three programme (led by Swim England) targeting 17/18 year olds
- Performance Foundations Squad / 2024 Squad targeting youth swimmers up to 20 years old.
- Additional swimmer development programmes (led by region) targeting 14-18 year olds.
- Masters development day (led by the region) targeting 18+ swimmers
County Associations and Swim England East Region run camps for selected 11 and 12 year olds respectively. This is the beginning of the talent pathway where swimmers may be selected to attend camps run by the England Talent Team.
Applications are now open for lane coaching and observation opportunities at the Regional Development Camps 2018.
These will run on:
- 23rd September (Stanground, Peterborough)
- 14th October (Basildon Sporting Village)
- 18th November (Ipswich High School).
If you have any queries regarding the Regional Development Programme, please contact the Regional Swimming Talent Officer, Kevin Pickard.